Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Surviving the cold weather

I get asked all the time on my tours what I think about the weather here and Vermont. Most people when they hear Vermont think "Ohh it's cold up there and so close to Canada". Yes, we are about an hour from the Canadian border and yes it can get cold here. I personally am a warm temperature loving person. I'd rather be hot than cold. So, why am I going to school in Vermont? Well, I really love Saint Mike's , but I also have learned to handle the snow. ( I still can be a whimp sometimes). I have various jackets for all kinds of temperatures and am never afraid to start layering it up early on in the season.

I also make sure I don't stop moving and getting outside in the winter. I learned how to ski freshmen year at Smugglers Notch because of our awesome ski pass and now try making it to the mountain twice a week. I also usually step up my gym going in the winter and begin hitting our indoor track more so I get some endorphins in me. This can be a challenge sometimes to get the motivation do go, but I have to keep reminding myself it's going to make me feel better and warm me up! Being a wilderness leader doesn't hurt either because I lead snow shoe trips in the winter and get to see some beautiful snow covered woods and mountains on trips. Who would of thought from all that, that I don't particularly enjoy the cold. These are just some ways I get through winters in Vermont and why I love this area in every season.




No comments:

Post a Comment