Sunday, December 18, 2011

10 things I wish I did at Saint Mike's

I am a senior at Saint Mike's and looking back on my years at school I have come up with a list of things I wish I did earlier on.I hope I can inspire some to maybe think about doing some of these things!


1. Been a core member with the MOVE program~ MOVE runs some amazing programs from cooking food for shelters to walking rescued grey hounds. I wish I got more involved with the Lund program and had tried to become a team member. The Lund Center Provides "services for young women who are pregnant and parenting, families with young children and adoptive families."  Senior year I finally signed up to volunteer through MOVE with Lund and realized how much I liked going. 


2.  Joined Rescue ~ By the time I returned from abroad I finally decided that I might want to be an EMT and run rescue at SMC. I figured this out a little too late for our program and now am trying to join a local rescue squad in the area for next year. 


3. Taken a Gender Studies course ~ We have some amazing professors who teach gender studies courses that range in topics. I wish I would have taken at least one course earlier on and then maybe considered it as a minor. 


4. Started going to Career Development sooner ~ Career development is such a helpful place on campus and I wish I started taking advantage of all there services sooner. For example, starting my resume and graduate school plan earlier. 


5. Taken a Business class ~ Even though I'm not a business major I think it would have been interesting to learn about the basics of business. Part of a liberal arts degree is getting to diversify your self and having experience in different subjects. Who knows maybe one day I'll own my own business.


6. Done research with a Professor ~ Many Professors conduct research whether it's in the summer or during the school year. I would have loved to gain extra experience with conducting research especially around my major, Anthropology. 


7. Gone abroad again ~ I loved my semester in Florence and would go again in a heartbeat. I wish sometimes I went again because SMC has such an amazing program and there are still so many places in the world I would love to see. If I went again I think I would go to either Brasil or Costa Rica. 


8. Been an RA ~ Being an RA is challenging and rewarding job. It's a great way to gain leadership skills, meet some new & awesome people living in your building, and get paid. 


9. Intern before Senior year ~ We have a great internship office that has connections with various organizations, companies, and alumni. I wish I began doing internships before my senior year because they are such a great way to gain skills while making connections. 


10. Gone to a play on campus ~ I'm a little embarrassed  to say that I have never gone to see a play on campus put on by our theatre program. They put on wonderful productions and have a play once a semester I just for some reason have never gone to one.  






These are just things I look back and wish I had done. It's hard to do everything in four years and I am happy for all my experiences I have had at SMC. I couldn't have asked for a better 4 years. It's really easy to look back and see things clearer, but I always like to believe that 'everything happens for a reason'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment