Sunday, December 12, 2010

The heart beat of the city

      I'm in shock about how fast this semester has flown by. Living in another country for four months definitely makes school and your weekends fly by. I keep glancing back at pictures and remembering when I could trot around the city all day in shorts and a tank top and now I'm all bundled up watching the city prepare for Christmas. I have seen the Duomo and the main piazza transform so much this fall with festivals, marathons, celebrities, putting up a Christmas tree, and when people come in the summer. Cities are very lively things that once you've lived their long enough you get to know it's beat or the rhythm of life in it. It may sound crazy to say but I love this cities noises. I love hearing the beeping noise of a bus coming up behind me and knowing it's time to jump back up on the side walk. Or how the ambulance siren echoes and seems to be slightly different in every city I've visited, but I know Florence's. The street music playing in front of restaurants trying to serenade the diners. Lastly the Central market and the comments I can hear in ten minutes by just walking through.  I can't help myself from laughing a lot of the time. When else am I going to hear "Che Bella!" "Ciao Bella" "I like your look" "I have the perfect purse that matches your eyes!" or my favorite "I give it to you for FREE!" (never happens).
     Every city has personality and flare you just have to stay long enough to discover it. And I finally know Florence's and I know my way around or where some of the secret places are hidden. It still doesn't feel like December yet and I'm going to be a total wimp with Vermont weather this January since I've been experiencing a lot warmer fall/ start of winter here. One thing is for sure is that this semester I fell in love with a country and their culture and it was, Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment