Wednesday, September 29, 2010

One month down and I'm still on cloud 9


It has now been a month since I have been in Florence and I don't even know where the time goes. It's crazy how after just one month I know my way around the city pretty well, I have adapted a lot and find myself doing more European things like eating dinner at 8 pm.

Today, I was walking around after my one class and realized how much I have adapted. First off, when I walk down a street I now keep my eyes low and don't make eye contact with many people.( weird, but people won't bother you or try to sell you a purse or something). Second, I walk slower and take my time usually. No travel mugs of coffee or being able to jump up out of bed in the morning 15 minutes before class. I really like leaving 30 minutes in advance so I can greet the city as everyone starts their day and can enjoy the sites I see on my way to class.


Another funny thing I have realized since being in Florence is I don't get stressed out as much and am a lot more mellow and relaxed. Maybe it's the Italians and their passion for life and food wearing off on me. Whatever it is I'm happy about it and hope I can always hold on to it. My month here so far has consisted of cooking, exploring, tasting all sorts of food, and lots of picture taking. I love eating the food here because it's always fresh and good for you. I enjoy and am genuinely interested in all the classes I'm taking making me look forward to class (most the time and as long as there isn't a quiz). Finally I am in the country that I have always wanted to visit! ( When I used to live in New Jersey almost everyone at school was Italian so I secretly wished I was Italian because I loved the food).


Let me tell you a little bit about my classes! I am taking Intermediate Italian class, Italian Style: Food & Culture, Italian Family and Society, and a philosophy class called Enthusiasm. I really enjoy my Italian family and society class because I'm learning so much about the culture and how it has evolved recently. The class and material we cover gives me a better view of the people in Italy. My second favorite class is, Food and Culture, where I get to read about the history of Italian food and learn that pasta didn't originate in Italy. During each class we prepare and eat traditional meals from different parts of the country! We also get to go on a few pretty awesome field trips. One being a chocolate festival in Perugia (which is south of Florence). Who thought class could include some amazing dishes and trips?!

This past week I also talked to API (my program) about volunteering while I'm over here. They do a pretty great job of offering a variety of opportunities from visiting people in the hospital to helping out in a kindergarten class to helping the elderly. I chose to help this elderly women out once or twice a week. I have only met her once to establish times and what I will be doing and already can tell it will be a good challenge and opportunity for me. I was in a room where four people are speaking in Italian wicked fast and having two separate conversations at the same time as they figured out logistics. I tried to follow as much as I could, but was really overwhelmed for a few minutes. I hope my Italian will improve a lot after spending more time having to talk in Italian.

Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment