Friday, September 10, 2010

It doesn’t matter what size you are

At the end of the day when everything is said and done it doesn’t matter if you’re a size two or a size fourteen. Age is just a number and so is our body size. After being in Italy for a little over a week I have noticed a lot. And I am frequently wanting to call my mom or call one of my good friends and tell them what I just saw , but I really can’t because my cell phone is so expensive and a lot of my friends are embarking on their own journies to far off lands. So my solution is to just be; to just be present in the moment and take everything in and share it later with my flatmates or with others via Skype later! (I love a good long Skype session).

One of the wonderful and interesting things I have noticed about this country is the women. Italian women endure a lot especially in the city. Number one cobblestone streets + highheels = disaster for so many Americans. But these Italian women walk in spike heels, ride there bike in heels, go food shopping in heels, and tell Italian men not to touch them in heels. Number two is Italian women are able to put up with Italian men who are persistent and claim to fall in love with passerbyers all the time(especially when they are outside the Duomo). Thirdly, Italian women dress very well (remember I’m in a city with a lot of fashion). The fashion here is beautiful, but I am still missing yoga pants and a T-shirt as my everyday attire.All women are not wearing size 0 here, they wear what looks good and makes them confident. They come in various sizes and always dress sharp and look their best.I haven’t paid attention to my size here as much because it goes by European sizes so a 38 doesn’t really mean anything to me. I just see what fits. Finally, Italian women love food and will eat a lot. No pre-packaged 90 calorie meal replacement snack bars for them. They indulge in real food and can tell you




Being a young college student in America we are always trying to look or act a certain way and discover ourselves. After switching my everyday routine and venturing to another country it’s important for me to “Hold my own, know my name, and go your own way” Jason Maraz. So I look at the Italian women here give them respect and hope to take a little bit of their strong characteristics with me. I’m just on this journey called life and have to constantly keep reminding myself to just Be. And the rest I will leave to the universe to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment