Thursday, September 22, 2011

Volunteers for Peace

This semester instead of taking a fourth class I chose to get an internship for credit. Being an Anthropology major I am not required to intern, but wanted experience in areas that I'm interested in so I chose a non-profit  in the area that did work that inspired and interested me greatly.

Volunteers for Peace allows individuals to volunteer in over eighty countries around the world from two weeks to up to a year! The volunteering is unique in that it allows people to interact with others from different regions of the world. Most trips do not have a volunteer from the same country together because this allows for a really valuable experience and way to make friends. The service projects range from working with kids, environmental work, hands on work, along with other kinds. One of the other really great things about VFP is that trips are affordable (especially for college age students)!

So far, I have gotten to learn more about the program and it's history as it turns 30 this year.To celebrate the anniversary, VFP is creating calendar of thirty years sharing pictures and quotes from volunteers. This is a project that I am working on right now. I'm really excited about what I am getting to do with VFP and everything I have learned so far! I will update ya'll as the semester progresses.


No comments:

Post a Comment