Thursday, November 18, 2010

Oh the Places You'll Go

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..." 
 Dr. Seuss (Oh, the Places You'll Go!)

I am in the home stretch of being here in  Florence  and it makes me think a lot! "How am I going to make the most of my time left here? What do I still want to see? What has been my favorite parts? When will I come back? Should I buy those leather boots?".

All these questions jump in and out of my head on a daily basis. One of the great things about studying abroad is I have raised a lot of good questions towards myself and have learned who I am more. Yes, thinking especially very loosely like this can be dangerous, but I have come to a few realizations or conclusions. The top one on my list is how it's more about experiences then things. Those leather boots in the window that I pass on my way to school might be calling my name, but then I go hey, I could spend that money and go to Ireland or somewhere for the weekend. Thus, why I  keep walking away from them. So, when I think back to my favorite parts of my time here in Florence I'm remembering   the experiences I have had more so then the things I have bought. Life shouldn't be all about the things I have; instead it should be about the little moments and the funny memories and experiences that shape us. Watching the sunset over the city from my rooftop terrace or getting lost in London and having my sister help us from Vermont; this is what I will always remember.

I have discovered things will break and disappoint you, but memories are forever. So, now when I go to a new city or country I try and focus on absorbing the culture and everything around me while I'm their and only picking up some postcards before I leave along with some local cuisine! This lesson has to be practised and broken sometimes, but overall experiences have made my time in Florence what it is and I wouldn't change it.
I think Dr. Seuss puts it best and explains in his story Oh, the Places You'll Go , the up's and downs in life, travelling, or with anything. 


Here are some more Dr.Seuss Quotes that inspired me!

"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple." 
 Dr. Seuss

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." 
 Dr. Seuss (I Can Read with My Eyes Shut)


"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope."
— Dr. Seuss


"If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good." 
 Dr. Seuss

"So be sure when you step, Step with care and great tact. And remember that life's A Great Balancing Act. And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed) Kid, you'll move mountains." 
 Dr. Seuss (Oh, the Places You'll Go!)







No comments:

Post a Comment