Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Firenze




As some people already know, I will be studying abroad during the fall semester, in Florence, Italy! I'm so excited and it's starting to sink in that I'm actually going there. Saint Mike's has this amazing program where you can choose to pretty much study anywhere in the world for a semester.

So this past semester, I applied through API to Lorenzo de Medici School and was accepted. Since then I have been following up with details, filling out forms for my program and getting my visa application together. About a week ago, I got my Visa which is one big detail I'm glad to have done. I depart for Florence on August 29 arrive in Germany and then fly into Florence.

I am very excited and can't wait to get to know Florence and all the beautiful areas of Italy. I will be taking four classes and getting credit for them. I am taking a philosophy class, a literature class on Italian travelers, a food and culture class, and finally an Italian class. I took two semesters of Italian at Saint Mike's so I'm going to be taking an intermediate class which will definitely help me speak better Italian.

I ventured to the library and book store frequently this past month studying where to eat and where to travel to. Their are so many different travel and guide books out there so I have been gathering different bits and pieces of information on a variety of topics about Florence. As August approaches I have been thinking more about what I want to pack. I decided the best idea would be to bring only a few things so I can shop a little while I'm over their.

So, my packing has begun giving me the challenge of what to bring and what to wear. Should I aspire to be an Italian fashionista? Maybe not quite, but I will not be wearing shorts or sweatshirts all the time. Italians dress very well and I want to try and blend when I'm over there and not just scream I'm American! The Saint Mike's dress code of yoga pants, a sweatshirt and UGG boots won't really fly in Florence. So instead, I have been gathering three pairs of my skinny jeans some nice tank tops and shirts along with sweaters and cardigans. I keep trying to remind myself less is more. This coming from someone who always over packs and is always prepared!

I will keep you posted as my departure date gets closer!

xo beth

No comments:

Post a Comment